Worldtrip Banner

Dangerous and toxic food for dogs

2 years, 9 months ago - Views

Dangerous and toxic food for dogs

Sometimes it happens very quickly. You have not just paying attention and the dog has eaten something he should not eat. Especially at Christmas time they are tempting appetizers on tables which attract dogs to eat it. Great care must be taken because some food can be dangerous and toxic for our four-legged friend. Which food this is you can read in this article.

 Gefährliche und giftige Lebensmittel für den HundSome food can be toxic for dogs

 

Dogs are constantly looking for something to eat. That is in their nature. There are some foods which can cause great harm to the dog. I've made a list of some dangerous and even poisonous food for dogs. Some of them you will probably know, in some you will perhaps be surprised.

 

Ad

Avocado

Avocados contain in the fruit flesh and in the seed the toxin persin, which is harmless to humans, but toxic for animals. The persin causes severe damage to the heart muscle. There may be symptoms such as breathlessness, cough, increased heart rate or abdominal dropsy. Such poisoning usually ends deadly for the animal, as there is no treatment for this.

Beans

Beans can be toxic in the raw state, not only for dogs but also for humans. Therefore beans should always be cooked. Raw beans contain the toxin phasin which inhibits the biosynthesis of the small intestine. When cooking the beans the phasin goes into the cooking water and cook off after some time. If the dog has eaten raw beans, symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea (even bloody), loss of appetite, fever, abdominal cramps, etc., can occur. If the dog has eaten a large amount of it, it can be lethal. So use just cooked beans and feed it in small quantities.

Accessoires thepugfather.comAd

Coffee, cola and tea

All caffeinated beverages are toxic to dogs, because the metabolism of the animals is not designed to handle caffeine. Caffeine is a methylxanthine. This causes elevated blood pressure, pulse rate increase and a narrowing of the blood vessels. A caffeine poisoning may cause the dog to restlessness, tremors, convulsions, vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst and even life-threatening heart rhythm disorders. If the dog for example has drunk the residues from a cup of coffee, then you should act quickly and take him to the vet.

Garlic, onion and leek

The consumption of raw, cooked or dried garlic, onions and leeks can be toxic to the dog. Even five to ten grams of onion per kilogram of body weight are toxic. The consumption of these foods leads, due to the existing disulfides, the dog to hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells). The poisoning usually begins with vomiting and diarrhea, and after one to three days, the symptoms, such as anemia (low blood count), loss of appetite, weakness, etc. can occur. Also, such poisoning can lead to death. In this case, you should go to the vet as soon as possible. If the dog does not get any more of this food, usually within a week he will recover.

Milk

Cow's milk is due to the high content of lactose (milk sugar), not well tolerated by dogs. Adult dogs can not completely break down milk sugar (lactose intolerance). This can lead to diarrhea and abdominal pain. Fermented milk products such as cheese, yogurt and curd are harmless and can be fed as a good source of calcium.

Nicotine

Although I have never seen a dog smoking :-) , but still nicotine is one toxic substance for a dog. The dogs can chew cigarettes, cigars, tobacco or drink from a puddle, with swimming cigarette butts and thereby get poisoned. Even 5-25 grams of dried tobacco leaves (a cigarette butt) are toxic to the dog. Nicotine poisoning you recognize by increased saliva, tremor, low temperature, convulsions or cardiovascular collapse.

Nuts

Nuts have a high phosphorus content and thus lead to the formation of bladder stones. So you should feed, if at all, only very small amounts. Macadamia or walnuts, for example, ingested in larger quantities can cause paralysis and can be lethal in severe cases. Even a mortal threat is the nutmeg, which should not be fed.

Raisins and grapes

The consumption of raisins and grapes leads to stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, and even kidney failure. As hazardous or toxic amount are already about 10-11 grams per kilogram of body weight. If the dog has eaten grapes or raisins, you must immediately go to the vet so that the dog with severe poisoning may get an infusion and a blood examination. When the kidneys are not seriously damaged so far, a cure is possible.

 

Ad

Salt

Salt is totally harmless in small amounts. Too much salt in food leads to increased accumulation of fluid in the body. Therefore, dogs should always have enough water available, so that the excessive amounts of salt can be excreted again. Dogs with heart disease have to be careful, because of the reduced cardiac output, they can not excrete the excess salt.

Chocolate / cocoa

Chocolate and cocoa powder contain theobromine which can not be broken down very well by the dog and even in small amounts, two to twelve hours after eating, can cause symptoms of poisoning. These include for example vomiting, diarrhea, cramps trembling or even heart failure. Especially dangerous are products with a high cocoa content, like dark chocolate, cocoa powder or chocolate coatings.
The content of theobromine is different for each type of chocolate:

  • White chocolate - 2 mg / g
  • Milk Chocolate - 2.5 mg / g
  • Dark chocolate - 16 mg / g
  • Cocoa Powder - 20 mg / g

Life-threatening for dogs is theobromine with a dose between 90 - 300mg/kg body weight.

For a small breed, such as Chihuahua, the consumption of a couple of pieces of dark chocolate can be fatal.
Usually the dog's body reacts immediately after eating chocolate with the reflex of vomiting, so that it is transported back outside. This is also the reason that such deaths do not occur frequently. In the case that your dog has eaten chocolate, you should immediately go to the vet. The vet will give first aid with laxatives, vomiting medicine or infusions. With a blood test, he can also prove the amount of theobromine.

Raw pork

That for humans harmless Aujetzky virus can be contained in raw pork and is usually deadly for dogs. The virus is killed at a temperature of 60 ° C. Pork should never be fed raw! If the dog ate raw pork, the incubation period is two to nine days. From there, symptoms such as vomiting, restlessness, loss of appetite, fever, itching, etc. may occur. Within 24-36 hours after the onset of the symptoms the death of the dog occurs. This infection is unfortunately incurable to this day. The best and safest thing is to don’t feed pork.

Alcohol

Alcoholic beverages are toxic to the dog because the dog can only break down the alcohol slow and incomplete. If the dog should have taken alcohol about 30 to 60 minutes after symptoms like a strong salivation, diarrhea and vomiting may occur. After one to three hours nervousness, fever, staggering, seizures. You should go to the vet as soon as possible, which will help to bring the animal to vomit, perform gastric lavage or administered infusions.

 

Ad

 

Stone fruit

Stone fruit include fruits such as apricots, cherries, plums, peaches. The seeds contain amygdalin and the toxin prunasin which release cyanide in the body of the dog. Poisoning can be recognized by the breath of the dog that smells strong of bitter almonds. Typical symptoms include vomiting, nausea, sore throat, difficulty breathing, chest pain and fever.

Sweetener xylitol

Incorporation of the sweetener xylitol can be deadly for dogs. This sweetener is often used in sugar-free foods, such as candies and chewing gums. The xylitol increases the secretion of endogenous insulin and may cause the dog to a life-threatening fall of blood sugar level. After about half an hour symptoms such as weakness, convulsions, lack of coordination can occur. Possible liver damage can be the result.

Now you got a good overview over dangerous and toxic food for dogs.

If you found this article good or helpful, then share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter or Google+. Below you'll find the Share-Buttons.

______________________________________________________________

Read also:

---> Grooming & Dog Bath - General tips for the care of a dog Part 1/3

---> Eyes, ears and teeth care - General tips for the care of a dog Part 2/3

---> Paw and claw care - General tips for the care of a dog Part 3/3

 

 

The Pugfather - Tonys ShopAd

Weitersagen:
comments powered by Disqus































Ad
























































Ad